2020 CAC2 Annual Summit
The Coalition Against Childhood Cancer was pleased to host the 2020 Annual Summit on Friday, July 17. Over 100 CAC2 members and guests gathered for a special online event that including our 8th Annual Summit Speaker Program and our Annual Members’ Business Meeting. Our volunteer Meetings Team designed a carefully curated two-hour version of our traditional Annual Summit accessible to all.
The program featured
- Dr. Doug Hawkins, newly elected Chair of the Children’s Oncology Group, spoke on his vision for COG, with Q&A on how parent patient advocates fit into that vision
- The RACE Act on the Eve of Implementation Panel, a conversation moderated by Dr. Stacey Adam (FNIH) featured Dr. Malcolm Smith (NCI), Dr. Martha Donoghue (FDA), and Dr. Mark Kieran (Bristol Myers Squibb) discussing the possibilities for pediatric oncology drug development presented by regulations going into effect in August.
Our Annual Meeting is a time where our Interest Groups really shine the spotlight on what they have accomplished during the year and what they would like to work on in the upcoming year. Since we were unable to meet in person this year, we launched Summer Series 2020 so our three Interest Group Pillars (Research & Treatment, Awareness & Advocacy, and Family Support & Survivorship) could connect with members in a more fun and interactive way than just reading a report out.
CAC2 also held three virtual engagement sessions (each spotlighting an Interest Group) over this summer:
– Advocacy & Awareness (June)
– Research & Treatment (July)
– Family Support & Survivorship (August)