The general public doesn’t realize the magnitude of problems faced by children and adolescents with cancer and those who survive their cancers. The Awareness Interest Group seeks to shine the spotlight on facts, such as:
- Childhood cancer is the leading cause of death by disease among children and adolescents in the United States.
- Most causes of childhood cancer are unknown and not preventable.
- The incidence of childhood cancer is on the increase.
- Most survivors will experience significant debilitating complications that result from their treatment regimes.
- Children and adolescents who have or have had cancer are much more likely (more than 60%) to face bullying than their healthy classmates.
- Only four drugs have been developed and approved to treat a pediatric cancer in the last quarter century.
CAC2 member organizations with an interest in Awareness are encouraged to participate in the work of the CAC2 Advocacy and Awareness Interest Group. Notes from the 2019 meeting of the working group are available here. Email if you would like more information on how to be involved with CAC2 awareness initiatives.